Wednesday, April 17, 2013

NHL releases schedule for Six Outdoor Games

The NHL has released the schedule for 2014.  A total of six games will be played outdoors which will be a record for the NHL for outdoor games.  The first of them start off January 1, 2014 at the Big House on the campus of the University of Michigan.  The game will be the Detroit Red Wings versus the Toronto Maple Leafs.  The other five remaining games will be played in 4 different cities.  Yankee Stadium will host two games; while NHL will also have games in Los Angeles, Chicago, and Vancouver.

Now, myself not being an avid hockey fan, I've always come to enjoy the Winter Classic on New Year's day.  I liked how it is a unique event where the NHL could showcase their talent and play hockey naturally outside.  It even excites me more now that they will be having six of these "Winter Classics".  It is a great marketing move for the struggling NHL to try and get a whole new fan base.  The one head scratcher for me is why you would put a Winter Classic in LA?  It is not thought of as a hockey town.  Now I understand, Gretzky played their for a while, but would it not just be a disaster weather wise?

 

I truly love the additions of the five extra Winter Classic games.  The NHL might just have gotten a new fan!

No comments: